As often as possible when stress seems to be kicking you where it hurts, the temples are pounding and you feel your emotions boiling – gather yourself and give yourself permission to take 5! Complete and keep practicing the following – you deserve it. No one functions well in stressful situations:
- Sit upright in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes. Focus on your present state and existence. Block out intrusive thoughts.
- Pay attention to your breathing. Inhale slowly through the nose, taking several seconds.
- Exhale through the mouth, trying to make the exhalation phase last twice as long as the inhalation.
- Continue this mindful breathing for three to five minutes.
With regular practice, you can train your body to relax in stressful situations This exercise can also be effective in dealing with anxiety, panic attacks, stage fright, and fears. Taking a calming pause to focus on your breathing can also be a valuable anger-management tool.