Keep These Foods from Your Pets

Keep These Foods from Your Pets

Poison is a growing concern among pet owners. Household poisons are not the only thing that can harm your pets. The following are foods that can be toxic or poisonous to your pets.

Chocolate
Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine that is toxic to pets. If enough is ingested, your animal can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death. Cocoa mulch contains theobromine; the ASPCA advises dog owners avoid using this fertilizer around unsupervised dogs.

Avocados
Avocados contain a toxin known as persin. This toxin causes vomiting and diarrhea. Birds and small pets seem most affected.

Candy
Chocolate is the most toxic to pets but Any candy containing the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic for hem.

Alcohol
It can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, difficulty breathing, coma, and possible death.

Caffeine
Caffeine is highly toxic to pets, having negative effects on both the cardiac and nervous systems. Side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death.

Grapes and Raisins
A toxin in grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and lead to death. Symptoms of this poisoning can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat.

Nuts
An unknown toxin in nuts (particularly Macadamia nuts) can have negative effects on the nervous, digestive, and muscular systems of your pet. Symptoms can include muscle tremors, weakness, an upset stomach, vomiting, depression, inactivity, and stiffness.

Onions
Onions, along with garlic and chives, are all part of the same species of plant — the Allium species can cause stomach irritation and possibly result in damage to red blood cells causing anemia.

Some Human Medicines
Even though human medications are prescribed for pets by veterinarians, others can be highly toxic and fatal like Acetaminophen , which is contained in Tylenol and other similar products. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving human medication to a pet.

Xylitol (artificial sugar)
Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including mouthwash, gum, toothpaste, and various foods.

Lily Plants
The Lily plant are poisonous to cats when ingested. Just a nibble of the leaf, petal, or stem can cause irreversible kidney failure despite extensive medical treatment. Keep in mind many plants are poisonouis to cats. You may want to visit your local Nursery for a list of plants are are and also plants that are not. I picked one up at a nursury in our neighborhood.

Cooking Tips
Healthy Living
Motivational Tips
Share
By | 2019-02-05T18:10:46+00:00 January 4th, 2019|Fun Stuff|0 Comments