Foods that Can Poison Pets 2019-04-19T20:18:07+00:00

Foods that Can Poison Pets

Poison is a growing concern among pet owners. Household poisons are not the only thing that can harm your pets. The following are foods that can be toxic or poisonous to your pets.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine that is toxic to pets. If enough is ingested, your animal can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death. Cocoa mulch contains theobromine; the ASPCA advises dog owners avoid using this fertilizer around unsupervised dogs.

Avocados

Avocados contain a toxin known as persin.  This toxin causes vomiting and diarrhea. Birds and small pets seem most affected.

Candy

Chocolate is the most toxic to pets but Any candy containing the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic for hem.

Alcohol

It can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, difficulty breathing, coma, and possible death.

Caffeine

Caffeine is highly toxic to pets, having negative effects on both the cardiac and nervous systems. Side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death.

Grapes and Raisins

A toxin in grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and lead to death. Symptoms of this poisoning can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat.

Nuts

An unknown toxin in nuts (particularly Macadamia nuts) can have negative effects on the nervous, digestive, and muscular systems of your pet. Symptoms can include muscle tremors, weakness, an upset stomach, vomiting, depression, inactivity, and stiffness.

Onions

Onions, along with garlic and chives, are all part of the same species of plant — the Allium species can cause stomach irritation and possibly result in damage to red blood cells causing anemia.

Some Human Medications

Even though human medications are prescribed for pets by veterinarians, others can be highly toxic and fatal like Acetaminophen , which is contained in Tylenol and other similar products. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving human medication to a pet.

Xylitol (artificial sugar)

Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including mouthwash, gum, toothpaste, and various foods.

Lily Plants

The Lily plant are poisonous to cats when ingested. Just a nibble of the leaf, petal, or stem can cause irreversible kidney failure despite extensive medical treatment. Keep in mind many plants are poisonous to cats. You may want to visit your local Nursery for a list of plants are are and also plants that are not. I picked one up at a nursery in our neighborhood.

Onions and Garlic

These contain sulfoxides and disulphides which can poison cats by breaking down their red blood cells, leading to weight loss, lethargy, anemia and cause gastrointestinal problems.

Raw Eggs

Eating raw eggs can lead to salmonella but that’s not the only reason you shouldn’t feed your pets raw eggs. Uncooked eggs contain an avidin an enzyme that decreases the absorption of biotin, an important B vitamin. This can cause some skim and hair coat and skin problems.

Raw Fish

Raw fish can cause gastrointestinal problems and poisoning due to the bacteria that raw fish carries. It can also destroy thiamine, a vitamin that’s crucial to cats: thiamine. A lack of thiamine can cause neurological problems as well as lead to loss of appetite, seizures and even death.

Potatoes and Green Tomatoes

Potatoes and green tomatoes contain Glycoalkaloid Solanine, poisonous alkaloid that’s extremely toxic andcan lead to lower gastrointestinal issues. While some pet foods contain tomatoes, they’re usually ripe and in a small small quantity so shouldn’t cause a problem.

Milk

Because adult cats are lactose intolerant, they have a hard time processing dairy products. This can cause an upset stomach and diarrhea.

Xylitol

Xylitol is found in several products, including baked foods, diet foods, candy, gum and toothpaste. If a cat ingests xylitol, it can end up having liver failure. Xylitol will increase your cat’s insulin levels which will lower his sugar levels.

If you think your pet may have been poisoned, contact your veterinarian right away.

Cooking Tips
Healthy Living
Motivational Tips
Share